Monday, July 15, 2013

Haunted Happenings: The Tombstone Tourist Edition


I am totally a Tombstone Tourist. I actually prefer this title over Taphophile. Personally for me it is more about the art that goes into the markers, and less about dead things. Also I can't go into a cemetery and not make sure I have exits in sight and running shoes thanks to Return of the Living Dead, I know that any body can rise and be a zombie. Always have a plan. Naturally today I was in a rush for good lighting and wearing flip flops. Not good. The ground is soft and there is nothing cool like screaming like a five year old girl seeing her first horror movie. I sound like a high pitched chipmunk anyway. So was I spooked at all today? I'll never tell... 

Tombstone tourist (otherwise known as a "taphophile", "cemetery enthusiast", cemetery tourists or "grave hunter" or "graver") describes an individual who has a passion for and enjoyment of cemeteries. This involves epitaphs, gravestone rubbing, photography, art, and history of (famous) deaths. -from Wikipedia. 

I've been trying to think up a great second Haunted Happenings, specially after the failure of "Alabama's most haunted empty lot and campsite bathroom." But life is busy, and I've been living up to this blog title... I've been indecisive. 

So I decided to share my love of old cemeteries. This is a favorite of mine. It has a rich history filled with old oak trees and more photo bombing Spanish moss. 

Now let me say, I have found nothing saying this cemetery is haunted. It's just old and has a feeling about it. If you're in the know about some Old Live Oak haunting please let me know!


There's technically three "Live Oak Cemeteries" this sign is on the edge of a little road across the road is Old Live Oak. New Live Oak is a little down the road. Here are some of the famous dead here. Honestly I never pay attention to the who in the cemetery but the tombstones. 

This photo is the only spooky thing that happened. Now when I took this shot I heard a low growling that I was sure was a motorcycle or car. I took 3 pictures and each time I heard the noise. When I went through my pictures there was only 1 picture of this. Now my partner in crime went back and took more but heard nothing. I'm 100% sure I took 3. You dear constant reader are now 98.3% sure I am full of shit. 


Spanish moss and sunset... This cemetery is really peaceful. There are homes and buildings surrounding it but it is always quite. 



The Jones Crypt. From rumors the old Jones home which is now a B&B is haunted. This to me is just beautiful. 


You can't tell from my pictures but it was raining lightly. She has water tracks that make it look like she's weeping. 


A view of Live Oak half of the cemetery. 


The Old side of Live Oak cemetery. 


I'm originally from Southern California, so I'm always stunned a moment when I see nature reclaiming plots of land or houses. I saw graffiti once on the brick wall of a really old, over grown abandoned cemetery and it said: "All ways lead to home." I like that and at the same time I find it all kinds of creepy. I always think of that quote when I'm in an old cemetery. 


CLBH




No comments:

Post a Comment