Thursday, July 4, 2013

Haunted Happenings: July 4th Edition

  I've been toying with an idea of having a weekly or bi-weekly blog dedicated to something I find utterly fascinating. I love checking out places that are supposed to be haunted. Today on this wet and humid 4th of July the family and I trekked up to Old Cahawba, it's located 22 minutes from Selma, Alabama. What it is best known for is being Alabama's first state capital.   

  Now a few months ago, Deep South Paranormal came and filmed down here. It looked so cool, I knew I HAD to make this my first Haunted Happenings! Well. They must've had access that the normal visitor doesn't. I had a map and I still really couldn't find anything. Unless open fields are something you enjoy checking out. "Look honey! Doesn't this grass lot look spooky?" "Maybe if you're concerned about poison ivy or deer ticks..." 

 Honestly the highlight of the trip was my husband trying to convince me the "Stone Monument" (really just a giant rock in the middle of the road) was the gateway to the Deep South Hogwarts. I personally feel that's utter bullshit. There is no way I'm a muggle and if that was really a Deep South Hogwarts I would've known, faster then you could say Accio bug spray. 

I did however take a bunch of pictures featuring Spanish moss. 


This was the first building you see when you enter the ghost town of Old Cahawba. It's St. Luke's Episcopal Church. It was built in 1854. 

According to legend there is a ball of light that appears and floats around. When seers try to touch it, it disappears. It's referred to as Pegue's Ghost. We didn't see it today... 


This next picture is of the Frambo/Authur house. It was built in the 1840s. You can't tell from the picture but the Cahawba river runs right behind it. This house has been damaged by time nd by the numerous floods. I think this is the house they investigated around in Deep South Paranormal but they called it the Bell house. 


The Spanish moss photo bombed this shot.


These are just random pictures I took. I wasn't able to find the old burial grounds and the new burial grounds were closed today. 


We totally kept out! 




I just liked this little abandoned house. I couldn't find any information about it. It was right next to the ruins of the church so maybe the pastor lived here? I wasn't brave enough to go inside because on top of wearing flip flops I have a tendency to be a clutz and I sure didn't want to end up breaking a leg or something.



This is a photo of the Baker Slave quarters. It's all that is left of the Kirkpatrick homestead. It was very quiet and peaceful here. I noticed the absolute silence, no birds, bugs or anything. 



This was the main road. It boggles my mind the history this road has seen. Where civil war troops marched to me putting my iPad down to take the picture. 


These next pictures were taken on the way out. Just a random burial site and the P.O.W. burial area. 




And this led to the P.O.W. burial area. There are two places we stopped out that literally made my skin crawl. This little road was one of them. I just didn't want to go down there. So we didn't lol



Overall it was a disappointing trip. Not because we didn't see anything really spooky or the Hogwarts of the south, but because there wasn't really anything here. I was pretty researched before going, but buildings were not marked and it was hard to find the historical sites. 

This is the scariest building in the whole place. 

  

It was clean enough, but the last stall was closed and locked and no one answered when I called out. Hey maybe ghost orbs need a little potty time? 

I hoped you enjoyed the first ever Haunted Happenings. Until next time :) 

CLBH

3 comments:

  1. I've been loving these pics on Instagram. You are braver than myself. Hauntings really freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out today I'm a bigger wuss than I realized lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is the dude in the grey jacket standing in the trees in all of these pictures? Looks too thin to be Tony.

    ReplyDelete