Friday, June 28, 2013

I'm a Writer... I write.

   I know you'll find this hard to believe but apparently I'm not a serious writer. I've wanted to be a writer since I was in 2nd grade. I won the James Madison Elementary School award for creative writing. It was a whole paragraph long and it was a riveting tale of a pear that was juicy and grew on a tulip tree. Take that Shakespeare! 

   I recently applied to a writers group a friend had recommended to me. I felt like a chump for applying. I mean seriously? The questionnaire should have been my big tip off. Not that it was a 40 question monster of a thing but that I was looking at it with my typical amused and cynical eye. I'm not naming names. Nor am I going to bash anyone, but needless to say I was denied. Why? I wasn't a serious enough writer and while my work was well written the subject matter was lacking. (This group likes historical period pieces) ok I'm bashing, they like badly written cliche terms like rutting betwix her thighs. *eyeroll* rutting? That's as sexy as ball and bail and I actually like that term more. But, I'm not a serious writer. 

I knew the moment I saw the question: "do you trust yourself as a person to find good words and perceptions?" My immediate thought was, "No I hardly trust myself to post a coherent Facebook status update.. I don't trust myself because my left typing hand wants me to type rutting." 

 I'm not going to lie, I am a little disappointed, I was looking for a sounding board type thing. But in the end I guess I'll take my brand of crazy and just keep it to myself for now. I'm going to do what all serious writers do, blog about it.. Oh wait, I meant the second thing serious writers do, eat a choco taco and text people about the unfairness of the man. Ok no, just the choco taco part. Really. 

2 comments:

  1. I think 'rutted' works in a certain context, to be fair. But the context is rather limited.

    One of the hardest things about being an aspiring author (not an aspiring writer... in my book, if you're an *aspiring* writer, you're not actually doing any writing) is finding reliable, knowledge people to bounce your stuff off of, imho.

    Have you tried looking on GR? Some of the groups I belong to there have places for members to post WIP for feedback. It might be a start, anyway.

    Enjoy your choco taco! :)

    ~xxxM



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My choco taco was indeed yum. I feel part of my biggest problem is I can't stand to show people anything I don't deem perfect. I was hoping to get into a group and help ease that for me. Honestly, I think I'll check out GR but I dunno if Ill be showing any WIP.

      Thanks for taking the time to respond :) it's way sweet of you!

      Delete